[R] Improving R Editing: JEdit Support for R

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Apr 23 11:51:45 CEST 2002

Hello All,

So, after sending out the comments earlier in the list, giving
suggestions for improvement to the R project, I went into hiding and
started working on some of them.  Most of the R web site stuff I have no
control over, but I plan to work up a proposed site layout and a plan to
add features for navigation improvements.  Everyone will be free to
comment on these when they are available.

My first order of business was to improve the editing and usability of
R.  At first I thought about writing my own interface, but after using
JEdit (http://www.jedit.org) and finding that I can add most of the
features, and then some, that ESS provides very easily, I decided to
just create plugins and support files for JEdit.  What I have right now
is a decent syntax edit mode for JEdit.  Everyone can get it from the
http://community.jedit.org/ and going to the downloads section.

My plans for integration JEdit with R are as follows:

1)  Improve syntax highlighting edit mode.
2)  Create easy ways to run R scripts from within JEdit.
3)  Provide R help file searching and browsing with JEdit Help support.
4)  CodeAid support for R so you can have nice command/variable
completion.
5)  Possibly integrate R for Java from Omegahat.

Everyone is free to check out both JEdit and the edit mode to see if
they like it.  JEdit is an excellent editor written in Java that
provides a very nice editing interface, and is supported on many
platforms (including Windows).  It is fast, has excellent XML support,
Java, C++, and allows you to extend it with Plugins and other things.
Give it a try, and feel free to contact me if you have problems getting
the RS.xml edit mode file working.

More stuff to come...

Zed A. Shaw

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"