[R] Is there plan to make R multithread?

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Dec 3 01:23:03 CET 2002

>>>>> "mingliz" == mingliz  <mingliz at surfbest.net> writes:

    mingliz> Hello R Pioneers, I sometimes use R on a dual CPU PC
    mingliz> runing Linux and find that only 1 CPU is used even when
    mingliz> no other user/process competes for resources.  Can we
    mingliz> make R uses both CPUs to have the job done sooner?  I
    mingliz> know this is probably asking too much for something that
    mingliz> is free.  Has anyone else thought about it?  Thanks.
    mingliz> Ming Chow

Search the mailing list for past discussions on this topic.  The short
answer is no you can't do it.  The long answer is yes, you can do it
with a bit of programming (using PVM/MPI and SNOW).

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------------- http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ ----------------
FHCRC: M: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
(my tuesday/wednesday/friday locations are completely unpredictable.)