Plot optimization [Was: Re: [R] Plotting Speed: R vs Octave]

Matej Cepl matej at ceplovi.cz
Wed Dec 4 19:28:04 CET 2002

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk wrote:
> > I will have to study your code, but it seems to me, that such
> > problem can occur quite often, so that optimization-out of
> > this ... well, I believe, bug ... could help a lot.
>
> Plotting the points you asked for is not a bug: please read the
> FAQ about BUGS.

I know what bugs are (undocumented features :-), and that is the
reason why I have not filed it as bugreport, but to this list in
so hesitating way as I did.

> It is not often that users are careless enough to plot
> duplicated points many times.

Well, what I tried to say is that I do not think, that this
problem affects only careless users. I believe that pairs is best
exactly on very unprocessed raw data in multiple variables.
However, it may be fair to say, that pairs should be used only
for intial observations (with X11 driver, where I have no
problems with the size and complexity) and it should not be
published in the paper.

> The issue would apply to all drivers, not just postscript().

Actually, not exactly, because in bitmap-based drivers (X11, png,
jpeg) there is optimization done in hard way by the nature of the
bitmap pictures -- previous point just vanishes.

Have a nice day,

	Matej

--
Matej Cepl, matej at ceplovi.cz,
Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

We are told that [St. Anthony] once fell into dejection, finding
uninterrupted contemplation above his strength; but was taught to
apply himself at intervals to manual labour by a vision of an
angel who appeared platting mats of palm-tree leaves, then rising
to pray, and after some time sitting down again to work; and who
at length said to him, "Do thus, and thou shalt be saved."
    -- Life of St. Anthony