[R] R as a COM client - is it possible?

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at research.bell-labs.com
Mon Dec 9 14:22:05 CET 2002

Søren Højsgaard wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> In S+, there are functions like
>
> 	create.ole.object
> 	call.ole.method
> 	release.ole.object
>
> for communicating with other programs which work as a COM server (on
> Windows).
>
> Is it possible to do something similar in R (I've studied the 'connections'
> facilities, but they do not seem to work).

There are currently two packages being developed that will provide
basic COM client facilities for R. Thomas Baier is developing one
which is pretty close to complete, as far as I understand, but he has
not released it yet.

And I and others here in Bell Labs are developing a package also
(along the lines of the Python win32com.client module, if that helps).
We will probably make an alpha version of our dynamic COM package
available in the next few weeks. The compiled bindings approach will
have to wait until sometime in January.  If you want to try the
current code, let me know and I can make it available.

 D.