[R] clogit and general conditional logistic regression

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Tue Dec 10 12:57:03 CET 2002

Can someone clarify what I cannot make out from the
documentation?

The function 'clogit' in the 'survival' package is
described as performing a "conditional logistic regression".
Its return value is stated to be "an object of class clogit
which is a wrapper for a coxph object."

This suggests that its usefulness is confined to the sort of
data which arise in survival/proportional hazard applications.

My question is: is 'clogit' capable of a general conditional
logistic analysis?

E.g. given a set of data on binomial experiments with Y=1
r_i times out of n_i, associated with levels A_i and B_i
of factors A and B at N_A and N_B levels, would

  clogit(Y ~ A+B, method=c(Exact"))

generate something sensible containing the results of a standard
exact conditional logistic regression of Y on A and B?

With thanks,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 10-Dec-02                                       Time: 11:35:16