[R] C caron character in R

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Dec 10 17:29:10 CET 2002

"Bojan Leskosek" <bojan.leskosek at guest.arnes.si> writes:

> >> In R 1.6.1. for Windows using RGui interface I try to use characters
> >> of Slovenian alphabet. Slovenia is a small Slavic country south of
> >> Austria with 3 characters which are not found in English alphabet,
> >> namely C, S and Z- all with caron. As S and Z are presented OK in
> both
> >> Console and Graphics window, this is not the case with C caron, which
>
> >> is shown as E
> >> acute- for an example please see:
> >> http://www.sp.uni-lj.si/bojan/statuni/datoteke/temp/q.gif
> >> (In RTerm problem is even worse - all characters are wrong. I don't
> want
> >> to bother you with RTerm, because I rarely use it).
> >> Any idea?
>
> >Yes, the problem is in your version of Windows.  What OS is this? R
> just >asks Windows which characters are which, and Windows sometimes
> lies.
> I try on 3 different versions: Win'98 Slovenian, Win 2000 English and
> Win XP Slovenian. Result is allways the same
> (http://www.sp.uni-lj.si/bojan/statuni/datoteke/temp/q.gif).
> Therefore, it seems to me that result is *not* connected with the OS
> version(?).
> Will someone please try this on his computer? C caron Unicode is 010C
> (uppercase) and 010D (lowercase C caron).
> Regards,
> B. Lesko¹ek

I can't help you with concrete advice but your symptoms would seem
consistent with your computer(s) trying to use WinLatin1 which has the
s and z caron letters, but not c caron.

See for instance
http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html
which I found via a page by one of your compatriots at
http://nl.ijs.si/gnusl/cee/iso8859-2.html

[BTW, the letter you're seeing instead of c/C caron is e/E *grave* not
acute -- both sit at c8/e8 in latin-1 resp. -2, whereas e/E acute is
c9/e9 in both variants]