[R] Modified Bessel Function - 2nd kind

David Pearson david.pearson at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 13:02:03 CET 2002

Dr Andrew Wilson wrote:

> In order to fit a probability distribution proposed by Sichel [Journal of
> the Royal Statistical Society. Series A (General), Vol. 137,
> No. 1. (1974), pp. 25-34], I need a modified Bessel function of the 2nd
> kind.  I notice that the base package of "R" only has modified Bessel
> functions of the 1st and 3rd kind.  Does a modified Bessel function of the
> 2nd kind exist anywhere?

G'day,

According to Mathworld, you can make it from modified Bessel
functions of the 1st kind:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ModifiedBesselFunctionoftheSecondKind.html

Regards,
David.

David Pearson                                david.pearson at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Environmental Systems Science Centre         Tel: (0118) 9318741
Harry Pitt Building                          Fax: (0118) 9316413
University of Reading                        WWW: http://www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/~dwcp/Home.html
RG6 6AL, United Kingdom