[R] Loading libraries: Nas introduced

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Dec 13 02:01:03 CET 2002

"Peter Dunn" <dunn at usq.edu.au> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to package a library in R 1.6.1 (Windoze XP).
>
> I have read the document "Writing R extensions" and think I
> have done things correctly (though apparently not).  I have
> searched the mail archives for help to no avail.
>
> When I try to attach the library using, eg
>
> 	> library( libname, lib.loc=path.to.library)
>
> I get this message:
>
> 	Warning message:
> 	NAs introduced by coercion
>
> and the library does not work.
>
> Points to note:
>
> * I have no FORTRAN, only R code (getting FORTRAN working is
>   the next project...!  Stay tuned!)
>
> * If I simply source the R code, the functions all work with no
>   problems.  So at present I am just sourcing the R code that is
>   living in the R directory of my library and using it with no
>   problems.  This seems to suggest that the R code is not at fault
>   since I am using the same R code that the library would use.
>
> I can't figure out where or why NAs need to be introduced
> (by coercion or otherwise!).  What is the reason, where is
> it happening and why, and what is the solution?

Hmm... that Warning message could come from lots of things --
as.numeric(c(1,2,"a")) is prototypical.

First, did you install the package properly? Rcmd INSTALL, etc.

I see three places where things could go wrong:

1.  in the library() function itself
2.  while sourcing /path/to/yourlibrary/yourpackage/R/yourpackage
3.  during .First.lib processing

if /path/to/yourlibrary/yourpackage/R/yourpackage has nothing but
function definitions, something is structurally wrong. I think I'd try
sticking in a few test printouts between the functions in that file
and try to home in on the trouble spot that way.