[R] Creating libraries: Cannot make help

Peter Dunn dunn at usq.edu.au
Mon Dec 16 02:00:03 CET 2002

Hi all

I am trying to package a library in R 1.6.1 (Windoze XP).

I have read the document "Writing R extensions" and think I
have done things correctly (though apparently not).  I have
searched the mail archives for help to no avail.

I also posted a few days ago and thanks to Peter Dalgaard I have
managed to focus my search for errors.

I am trying to create a library in R.  I run the INSTALL
script and installing the R files in the library itself go
fine; the message is

  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
  installing R files

Indeed, after loading the library, I can use these files.
But creating the help is causing troubles:

  installing man source files
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/d/pkd/research/tweedie/libraries/R/<lib-name>'
make: *** [pkg-<lib-name>] Error 255
make: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Programs/R/rw1061/src/gnuwin32'

*** Installation of <lib-name> failed ***

And so while the library files work, there is no help available.

Without knowing Perl or anything, I seem to have found the line in
the INSTALL script that causes things to die (line break added):

    if(system("make -C $R_HOME/src/gnuwin32 PKGDIR=$pkgdir
       RLIB=$library SAVE=$save $helpflags $makecmd-$pkgname")){

If I run this command in a Cygwin window, expanding the variable names,
I get this (abbreviated, editted) message:

---------- Making package <lib-name> ------------
mkdir -p d:/Programs/R/rw1061/library/<lib-name>
cp -r   ./INDEX  ./TITLE ./contents ./index.bak
d:/Programs/R/rw1061/library/<lib-name>/
  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/<path>/libraries/R/<lib-name>'
make[1]: Entering directory
`/cygdrive/d/Programs/R/rw1061/src/gnuwin32/help'
Makefile:42: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/d/Programs/R/rw1061/src/gnuwin32/help'
make: *** [pkg-<lib-name>] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Programs/R/rw1061/src/gnuwin32'

It indicates a missing separator.  But my knowledge of Perl and
Makefiles
is basically zip (apart from what I learnt to get this far).

My running the appropriate commands my self, I can generate, eg, html
files so there is nothing wrong with my  sgml  source files.  But
running
the INSTALL script fails to create anything help-ful.

Can anyone help me sort out what I am doing wrong or why I am getting
these
messages?

P.

Dr Peter Dunn          (USQ CRICOS No. 00244B)
  Web:    http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/dunn
  Email:  dunn @ usq.edu.au
<Insert favourite worthless disclaimer here>