[R] workspace vs. image

Iyue Sung isung at epidemiology.com
Wed Dec 18 16:01:03 CET 2002

Hello [R]ians,

  I'm hoping someone can clarify the difference between a Workspace Image
and Working Directory.  I created a directory on my PC, say,
"C:\Program Files\R\Project1" and then saved my objects in
"C:\Program Files\R\Project1\.Rdata".

Then, in a subsequent session, I reloaded these objects using

> load("C:/Program Files/R/Project1/.RData")

At first, I thought I was suppose to use

> setwd("C:\\Program Files\\R\\Project1")

and that R would automatically use "C:/Program Files/R/Project1/.RData".
But this appears not to be the case.
I got this impression from Section 1.11 of "An Introduction to R" which states
"...objects are written to a file called '.RData' in the current directory".

What "things" then, should go in the Workspace Image but not the Working Directory
and vice versa (Plots?), and what am I not understanding?

Gratefully Yours,

Iyue