[R] Kernel smoothing.

Rolf Turner rolf at math.unb.ca
Wed Dec 18 22:02:00 CET 2002

I wish to produce a weighted (Gaussian?) kernel density estimate, in
2 dimensions, where the weights are permitted to be ***negative***.
(I can ASSURE you that there are perfectly legitimate reasons why I
want to do this.  :-)) Clearly it is not really a density that I am
trying to estimate.

I had a go at using sm.density() from the sm package, but this
requires that the weights be positive.  Is there any software lurking
in the undergrowth that I could use for my purpose?  Or bits and
pieces that could give me a start on building the machine that I
need?

Ta.

			cheers,

				Rolf Turner