[R] New versions of lattice and grid

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 19 23:09:02 CET 2002

On Thursday 19 December 2002 01:35 pm, apjaworski at mmm.com wrote:
> I just ran package update on my Win2000 R-1.6.1 and it installed new
> versions of lattice and grid (0.6-7 and 0.7-3 respectively).  Then I ran
> demo(lattice) and noticed that the last plot, which is supposed to
> illustrate math expression usage, fails in the sense that all expression
> are shown literally.  For example the title of the plot reads " pi*sum(x,
> i=0, n)", the x-axis label is "sigma[i]", the subtitle reads
> frac(demonstrating, expressions), etc.  This happed using windows device as
> well as postscrip device (on Win2000 and Linux platforms).
>
> I am almost sure that this worked before.  Could anybody confirm this?

The problem is definitely real. Fortunately I had a fairly recent (but not the
most recent) version of grid that didn't have this problem, and comparing the
two, the problem seems to be a small change in grid.text. The older version
seems to work:

grid.text <- function(label, x=unit(0.5, "npc"), y=unit(0.5, "npc"),
                  just="centre", rot=0, check.overlap=FALSE,
                  default.units="npc", gp=gpar(), draw=TRUE, vp=NULL) {
  if (!is.unit(x))
    x <- unit(x, default.units)
  if (!is.unit(y))
    y <- unit(y, default.units)
  txt <- list(label=label, x=x, y=y, gp=gp,
              ## WAS label = as.character(label)
              just=just, rot=rot, check.overlap=check.overlap,
              vp=vp)
  cl <- "text"
  grid.grob(txt, cl, draw)
}

I have no idea whether this might break anything else. If Paul is able to look
at this before he disappears for the holidays, great. Otherwise, we will
probably have to wait to get this fixed.

Deepayan