[R] read.ssd {foreign} (Reading a permanent SAS dataset into an R data frame)

Stephen Arthur sarthur67 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 20 07:53:03 CET 2002

I just downloaded and installed R 1.6.1 on my Windows
machine where I also run SAS.

I want to use the 'read.ssd' function so that I can
convert a permanent SAS data set into an R data frame.

I downloaded and installed the package 'foreign' on my
machine, which includes the 'read.ssd' function.

I read the instructions, and followed the example
closely in the R documentation.

C:\Program
Files\R\rw1061\library\foreign\html\read.ssd.html

When I run the first R command, in the example, on my
SAS library:

> list.files("C:\\My Documents\\SAS_Data_Sets")

I get the correct output.

When I run the second R command, in the example,

> read.ssd("C:\\My Documents\\SAS_Data_Sets","use")

I get the following message,

'Error: couldn't find function "read.ssd"'

Why is R saying it can not find the function
'read.ssd' when I downloaded it and I see it in my
file system?

Thanks for your help,

Stephen