[R] Re: pasting "\" into character strings

Jim_Garrett@bd.com Jim_Garrett at bd.com
Mon Dec 23 17:21:29 CET 2002

Is it really necessary to use "\"?

On my Windows 2000 system here at work, it appears that the "dos" shell
interprets "/" as "\", even though "\" is the "official" Windows folder
delimiter.  For instance, I can type "C:/Program
Files/R/rw1061/bin/Rgui.exe" (quotes included) and R opens.  Using "/"
would simplify matters, but are there pitfalls?  Do all Windows systems
exhibit this behavior?

Just curious.

Jim Garrett
Becton Dickinson Diagnostic Systems
Baltimore, Maryland, USA

This message is intended only for the designated recipient(s).  It may
contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to
the attorney-client privilege or other confidentiality protections.
If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, use, copy
or distribute this message.  If you receive this in error, please
notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Thank you.