[R] Wish list: add an "until" or "EOF.marker" parameter to scan & rea dLines

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 27 15:09:02 CET 2002

Why is this necessary?  There are plenty of ways to do this already via
connections, e.g copy line-by-line to an anonymous file connection and
then scan from that.

Yes, it is useful, and that's why people already supplied you with a more
general tool, namely connections.  Please do look at the internals of scan
before suggesting complicating it further: it is already close to
unmaintainable.

I don't think R-help is the place for wishlist items: there is R-devel and
the R-bugs list has a wishlist section too (but please note that this gets
little action due to the perceived usefulness of the wishes).