[R] question from a beginner

Agustin Lobo alobo at ija.csic.es
Tue Feb 5 10:42:47 CET 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Prof Brian D Ripley wrote:

> > > I agree, some basic functionality in a menu would be handy, like,
> > > for example, being able to print or save displayed graphics or geting a
> > > window with an object browser.
> > >
> > > Agus
> > >
> > > Dr. Agustin Lobo
> >

> > Dr. Lobo-
> >
> > 	XLisp-Stat has some very nice functionalities, like choosing to save
> > 	the image in PostScript.
> >
> > 	It wouldn't be bad at all to have that in R...
>
> It isn't bad at all that we have it on the GUI interfaces, then ....
> It is on menus under Windows (surely the most used port of R) and I believe
> under MacOS and GNOME too.

Perhaps I did not make clear the point that I was thinking on
the linux version of R (and, unfortunately, I've not been able
to try the gnome interface). I recognize that the Gui for win*
is actually nicer an environment than runing R from the
linux shells and a lot easier than the ESS. Nevertheles, although the
Win* Gui is helpful
to, for example, print and save graphics from the
graphic window, I think that some additional functionality
would be very wellcome. In particular, an object browser that
could separate the different classes of objects, display
dimensions, dates of creation and even comments
and/or summary statistics for each
object would be very useful. Also, as the original message
mentioned, some basic exploratory methods (i.e, histograms,
simple x,y plots ...) and importing functions could have a place in the
GUI.
Personally, I would not make that GUI as extensive as the one
in Splus >4.0 for Win*, which actually tries to include a substantial
part of the functions in the menus, but I
do miss some parts of it. A button in the graphic window to open
the graphic in xfig or similar package would be at least as good as
being able to edit the graphic in R, and probably even better.

Hopefully the RGtk will add a lot of this functionality
to the future linux versions. Perhaps this GUI will also
facilitate the link between R and other tools, like
GIS packages.

Agus

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra (CSIC)
Lluis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona SPAIN
tel 34 93409 5410
fax 34 93411 0012