[R] Summary re: read.table on Mac OS 10

David R. Bickel dbickel at mail.mcg.edu
Thu Feb 21 01:19:32 CET 2002

I am having the same problem (#3) with read.table on Darwin. The edit()
function is not a work-around for me since I have to read an enormous
text file. I tried copying the data from TextEdit and pasting it into vi
and Project Builder, but that didn't help at all. I wonder if this is
related to the MacOS convention of ending lines with "\l" instead of
"\n".

The strange thing is that read.delim() seems to work fine.

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 06:22 †, Jason Boyd wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded.  Not all of the advice
> helped me with that particular problem, but, I have
> learned a lot just from your answers.
>
> 1.  R for Mac 10 (Carbon version) uses the Mac
> convention of using ":" for the usual Unix "/" and thanks
> to Dr. Lumley for that since I'm new to R, Mac10, Macs
> in general, and Unix.
> 2.  Interestingly, Dr. Ripley suggested to me not to use
> spaces in the path as R wouldn't be able to read them.
> I've found that on my Mac, spaces often come as
> default in file names.  As long as I use the ":" (see 1) I
> can also use a space.  I'm not sure of the Darwin/
> Xwinows version of R.  Looks like another Mac
> convention though.
> 3.  The problem is partially solved:  I never was able to
> read the data set I made with Mac's TextEdit.  But, on
> entering the data at R's runtime window, I was able to
> write.table to an external file, shut down R and/or the
> computer, and come back later to read.table ... no
> problem.  Perhaps TextEdit throws some extra code in,
> not sure <although I did save the data as simple text
> and fixed width format, really the only two options I
> could manipulate in TextEdit>  I'll try Mac SimpleText (a
> Developer Tool) and emacs to see what happens with
> them.
> 4.  Having fun with R!
>
> Thanks again for the help, if things with the text editors
> and read.table change I'll post my findings.
>
> Cheers,
> Jason Boyd
> graduate student
> University of Georgia
> College of Pharmacy
>
> 600 MHz 128 Mb iBook Mac OS 10.1, Fink & DevTools
> Carbonized R1.4.0
>
> ***original message follows***
> From: Ben Bolker <ben at zoo.ufl.edu>
> Date: Tue Feb 19, 2002  09:28:37 X US/Eastern
> To: Jason Boyd <BOYDJ at mail.rx.uga.edu>
> Cc: R help list <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
> Subject: Re: [R] error in read.table on Mac OS 10 ... request for help
>

>   I haven't seen any answers to this, so I'll try to provide some other
> things to try (although I don't really know what's going on).
>
>   Try getwd() to see how paths appear to be specified internally.  You
> could also try setwd("/Users/Shared/rm140_FULL/work") before
> read.table("...").  Also try list.files() to check out the file names.
>
>   It does seem you've been pretty thorough.
>
>   good luck,
>    Ben Bolker
>
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Jason Boyd wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm a new user of R, and unsure of why I'm getting an
>> error reading external files on my Mac OS 10 machine.
>> I've read through posts that would seem related (and 'R
>> Import/Export' and 'Introduction to R' as well as
>> pertinent sections in V&R's 'Modern Applied Statistics
>> with S-Plus') but to no avail.    If anyone has any
>> suggestions, I'd be very grateful.  Here's the problem:
>>
>> When I enter the command:

> [...]

http://www.mcg.edu/research/biostat/bickel.html

David R. Bickel, PhD
Assistant Professor
Medical College of Georgia
Office of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
1120 Fifteenth St., AE-3037
Augusta, GA 30912-4900

Tel.: 706-721-4697; Fax: 706-721-6294
E-mail: dbickel at mail.mcg.edu or bickel at prueba.info