[R] using GUI

Mark Myatt mark at myatt.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 13:19:35 CET 2002

Watkins, Janice <WatkinsJ at orau.gov> writes:

>       A few days ago I loaded R version 1.4.1 to run on Windows 98 and
>haven't been able to find information on the GUI approach in the FAQs, R
>Reference Index, or Search Engine .  Edit has an item that allows changing
>GUI preferences, and the Target path in the icon ends in Rgui.exe, so it
>appears that R for Windows does include using the GUI approach.

The "GUI" is the scrollable terminal window, multiple graphical devices,
and the menus (RGUI.EXE). There is also a "terminal" interface version
(RTERM.EXE) which is a text only application.

>       In S-Plus I wrote a application with guiCreate to add menu items
>that used dialog boxes to feed parameters to analysis functions.  Also, I
>sometimes use the graphics toolbar item in S-Plus to create graphs.  Is it
>possible to do these things in R?  If so, would someone please point me to
>the appropriate area of documentation.

Those functions are not available in R but there is a package (tcltk)
which allows you to create 'buttons and boxes' style font-ends to
functions. This is pretty versatile and supports a wide range of
graphical widgets. I like this approach as TK is open source and cross-
platform. The tcltk package requires TCL/TK to be installed on your
machine.

I have not used S-PLUS for a long time but I am pretty sure that you
should be able to do most of what you want with the tcltk package.

>       By the way, using the "Keywords by Topic" section of the Search
>Engine works fine for all items that I've tried except when clicking on
>dynamic under Graphics.  That gave the message "No matches for "dynamic"
>found.""

Interaction with graphs is limited in R. I have seen it linked to XGOBI
and a GIS system doing some pretty dynamic stuff but, I think, getting
it all running together might be tricky.

Mark

--
Mark Myatt