[R] re: GUI's for teaching

RenE J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 8 00:48:59 CEST 2002

Hmmm. Choice is a good thing, but so much choice?! Then why not just expect
every user to develop his or her own GUI?!

I fully agree that whatever technology is going to be used to develop a GUI
for R, it should ideally be something that contains a layer of abstraction
within it, allowing it to run natively on all supported platforms, and not
require an additional layer like (apparently) gtk needs X11 to run on the
Mac (but afaik it is native on windows, so it will probably be carbonised or
whatever for osx sooner or later). But to get a useful GUI that responds to
the expectations and requirements of the largest number of people possible,
a consensus will have to be found on the beast's phenotype (how it looks,
what it does, etc.) and its genotype (the codebase to be used). This is how
OpenOffice was developped in a little over a year, this is how mozilla is
being developped (the former using its own layers of abstraction for
interfacing with the host, the latter [mainly, methinks] using gtk). Of
course, linux but also R itself, and probably FreeBSD on which Darwin is
based are also developped by countless developpers -- but in concert.
I am afraid that the other alternative will result to, indeed, numerous,
more-or-less-half-hearted attempts that will surely work, each do something
a little differently or a little something different, leaving the user with
the existential question which version again was able to tackle the problem
at hand, and does it run on my system.

PS: your passionate account of choice reminded me of my own days as a
fervent Mac user & advocate -- but it also gave me some (more) reasons why I
will probably not go back (except when Michael Robertson decides to port
Lindows to the PPC :)))

PPS: have you ever tried to count the number of Aquaish themes for
gnome/gtk? Combine that with Oroborus/X (a window manager for X/Darwin in
rootless mode), and you get pretty close -- at least to untrained eyes 8^]

Met vriendelijke groet,

RenE J.V. Bertin
College de France/LPPA
11, place Marcelin Berthelot