[R] R-1.6.0 to 1.6.1 diff?

Michael Na Li lina at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 8 00:19:24 CET 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk said:

>  On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Na (Michael) Li wrote:
>
> > Hi, I see there are diff files for other minor versions.  Will there be
> > one for R-1.6.1?  I use rsync on my Linux box which is unfortunately
> > unavailable on Windows (not using cygwin).
>
>  Eh?  I have sucessfully rsync-ed the R sources under Windows.  The cygwin
>  port works, for example (and you don't need to be using cygwin to use it).
>
>  There will not be a patch file: the binary *.tar.gz files for the
>  recommended packages don't patch easily (and probably not even correctly
>  on Windows).

I'm using Msys which has most of tools I need, except rsync.  I'd rather not
to having multiple versions of cygwin.dll floating around.  Maybe rsync could
be included in Rtools?  Anyway, I found on the web an older version rsync
(2.2) for NT which doesn't require cygwin.dll and works just fine for this
purpose.

> > I have a related question.  I've been building R on Windows myself
> > lately because I found that is necessary if I want to build R packages.
> > Is that true?
>
>  Not at all.  I build the contributed packages under the binary
>  distribution almost all the time.

That's good to know.  I only use R under Windows occasionally, primarily for
testing the package I'm writing.  So I guess I can save myself some trouble
building it.

> > However, it takes quite a long time to build
> > (on a Duron 1GHz laptop with 384MB memory running WinXP Home) and I
> > couldn't do much else at the same time.  So I was hoping by applying the
> > patch file, I won't have to rebuild everything from scratch again.
> > After all, not many files have been changed.  Has anyone have experience
> > with that?
>
>  A long time?  I reckon on about 15mins for a complete build on my 1.4GHz
>  laptop.  And there are only four or five versions of R a year!

I heard people saying WinXP Home isn't really NT based (unlike Win 2K and XP
Pro) and may have some trouble dealing with more than one jobs.

Thanks for the answers!

Michael

Michael Na Li
Email: lina at u.washington.edu
Department of Biostatistics, Box 357232
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195