[R] Which DBMS to use?

Brian Cole melfy at comcast.net
Tue Nov 19 21:18:01 CET 2002

I'm currently trying to do analysis on a 565k record database of
Philadelphia's property assessments. I read the Data Import/Export .pdf and
am still conflicted about which DBMS I should use to maintain reliability
and ensure I don't crash while trying to do my calculations.

Should I go with PostgreSQL for the option of Proxy Data Frames or should I
go with MySQL for the "lean and mean" approach? Note that'd I'd be using it
on a Windows 98 OS.

Any input would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

-Brian Cole
  Staff Researcher
  Center for the Study of Economics