[R] read.table( ... comment.char="#") truncated my data

Ren_Yu@hgsi.com Ren_Yu at hgsi.com
Fri Oct 11 18:11:08 CEST 2002

Dear all,

I found that the new feature of the comment.char="#"  argument in the
read.table function truncated my data while the data set actually contains
 '#'. We analyze lot of data that contain '#'. This is really annoying and
it is also not compatible earlier version of R. I searched the R archive
and found the following message for the scan function. Is it possible to
change the default to " " in read.table ?

Thanks,

Ren

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Steve Cassidy wrote:
> I've just discovered the recent addition of the comment.char arg to
scan, a
> useful feature no doubt but the default value of # rather than "" breaks
my
> code which looks for # as a delimeter in a file and provides a messy
> incompatability with earlier versions of R and with Splus.
>
> Is there any chance that this default could be changed to ""?
It already has been. The NEWS for R-patched / R-devel says:
    o The default has been changed to scan(comment.char="") for
        consistency with earlier code (as in the previous item).
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk