[R] read.table( ... comment.char="#") truncated my data

Ren_Yu@hgsi.com Ren_Yu at hgsi.com
Fri Oct 11 23:18:49 CEST 2002

Thanks a lot! That works. This will solve my problem. Otherwise I need to
update lots of R functions we have developed based on R1.3.1.

Ben Bolker <ben at zoo.ufl.edu>
10/11/2002 04:49 PM
Please respond to bolker

        To:     Ren_Yu at hgsi.com
        cc:     r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
        Subject:        Re: [R] read.table( ... comment.char="#") truncated my data

 I would guess the answer is yes (although I'm not in R-Core), but in the
meanwhile you can easily override the definition with your own by putting
something like

old.read.table <- read.table
read.table <- function(...) {
   old.read.table(...,comment.char="")
}

in your .Rprofile or .First function, which will work
as long as you never use the comment.char argument explicitly
with your new version of read.table ...

(warning: I haven't tested this)

318 Carr Hall                                bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704