[R] Combinatorial Optimisation

Phil Saunders saundersp at bluelizard.org.uk
Wed Oct 23 12:49:26 CEST 2002

Cheers Jim

Your response is exactly what I was hoping for, confirming my suspicions that (for once) R does not have a ready-made function for the purpose, and that what I actually need is one of the various combinatorial optimisation algorithms dotted  around the web, such as simulated annealing, genetic algorithms, taboo search, memetic algorithms, neural networks, et al.

I did manage to cobble together some R code for a taboo search, but I'm no expert in optimisation so I'm not convinced that it is working as efficiently as it should be, and would therefore be very interested in your simulated annealing code as I'll bet it works better than mine!

The SPSA algorithm is also very interesting, especially if it really is as efficient as the website claims, so if you have any code for this then again it would be very welcome, but otherwise I'll have a go at translating the MATLAB code in the overview document into R.

Thanks very much for your response - it's already been very helpful.

Phil