[R] Longer synonym for R?

Johanus Dagius jdagius at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 29 19:57:28 CEST 2002

Richard,
Many search engines, like Google, restrict matching to whole words. The word "R" does not occur nearly as frequently as the letter "R".
In fact, if you perform a Google-search using "R" as a search parameter, the very first article returned is "The R Project for Statistical Computing"!
I can estimate the density of this "R" concept: The query "R" returned 137,000,000 articles. How many articles are stored in Google? I can estimate this by searching for the word 'the', which according to Zipf, should occur in roughly 1 out of 2 documents. The "the" query returns 2,860,000,000 articles.
So, I estimate 5.72 giga-documents and the density of the word "R" (representing many concepts) is only 0.024 per document.
-jdagius

Richard Rowe wrote:
asking for r is a bit hard as (almost) every page will have lots of the
them - r and statistics seems to work on the engines I use (I take my hats
off to the designers of the indexers),