[R] R function calling: efficiency of different alternatives

Ramon Diaz rdiaz at cnio.es
Tue Apr 1 12:02:08 CEST 2003

Dear all,

I have a piece of code, call it "FA", that will be called thousands of times
in a typical run of function "FB". I can:

a) define FA as a function outside of FB (in the global environment), and call
it;
b) define FA as a function inside the body of FB and call it;
c) "expand inline" FA inside FB.

FA mainly does data frame subsetting, runs svd's, and calls compiled C++ code.

I think I recall reading something about differences in efficiency between
those three approaches, but I can't find the information (I've searched the
email archives, Venables & Ripley's "S programming" and MASS, the R manuals,
and Burn's "S Poetry").

Are there any real performance differences?

(I'd personally prefer b) since these functions will hopefully become a
contributed package, and FA is not supposed to be used directly by an end
user. I am aware of scoping differences between the three approaches, but
that is not my main concern now).

Thanks,

Ramón

--