[R] Scripting with an external editor

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Apr 1 20:28:01 CEST 2003

"Prof. Brian Ripley" <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> I think the `trick' is how text for parsing is sent to R, and the answer
> is via the command line, using C redirection (and ptys under Unix).
> I've already suggested that approach a week ago.

This is exactly it -- ESS works by sitting on top of R's I/O streams,
i.e. stdin and stdout, and parsing the input and output of known
commands.  Why anyone would want to reinvent that wheel is beyond me.

(i.e. even the comment about how nice WinEDT's LaTeX support; compare
that with complete completion facilities for references, near WYSIWYG
support under a subset of platforms, and perhaps the nicest debugger,
with descriptions of what the errors might be coming straight from
Leslie Lamport).

best,
-tony

A.J. Rossini					   rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC:Tu: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
They make me add this: CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error, please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.