[R] randomForests predict problem

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Apr 2 13:13:30 CEST 2003

> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm testing the randomForest package in order to do some simulations and I
> get some trouble with the prediction of new values. The random forest
> computation is fine but each time I try to predict values with the newly
> created object, I get an error message. I thought I was because NA values
> in the dataframe, but I cleaned them and still got the same error. What am
> I doing wrong ?
>
>  > library(mlbench)
>  > library(randomForest)
>  > data(Soybean)
>  > test <- sample(1:683, 150, replace=F)
>  > sb.rf <- randomForest(Class~., data=Soybean[-test,])
>  > sb.rf.pred <- predict(sb.rf, Soybean[test,])
> Error in matrix(t1$countts, nr = nclass, nc = ntest) :
>          No data to replace in matrix(...)

try

R> test <- sample(1:683, 150, replace=FALSE)
R>
R> st <- Soybean[test,]
R>
R> sb.rf <- randomForest(Class~., data=Soybean, subset=-test)
R> sb.rf.pred <- predict(sb.rf, data=st)
R>
R> sb.rf.pred[1:10]
 [1] diaporthe-stem-canker diaporthe-stem-canker diaporthe-stem-canker
 [4] diaporthe-stem-canker diaporthe-stem-canker diaporthe-stem-canker
 [7] diaporthe-stem-canker charcoal-rot          charcoal-rot
[10] charcoal-rot
19 Levels: 2-4-d-injury alternarialeaf-spot anthracnose ...
rhizoctonia-root-rot

Torsten