[R] slides in linux R - OFF TOPIC REPLY

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Sat Apr 5 13:18:56 CEST 2003

On 04/05/03 09:01, Fredrik Lundgren wrote:

>In S-Plus Windows you can transform graphics to Powerpoint very
>easily, in R Windows you can use enhanced metafiles (.emf) and
>Powerpoint almost as easy. Is there a simular way with R in
>Linux to transform to the presentation program in StarOffice or
>OpenOffice or are you stuck with the pdf device?

This isn't really an answer.  But for an ordinary talk - without
movies or audio - I have made pdf slides with Latex, including
eps output from R, like this:

\documentclass[landscape]{slides}
\usepackage{color,graphicx}
\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
\begin{slide}
\end{slide}
and so on.

(The "color" allows fancy ppt-like overlays, etc.)  Then, when I
format this, I do the following.  (This is the batch file I run,
so $1 stands for the name of the tex file.)

latex $1
dvips -Ppdf -T 11in,8.2in $1
ps2pdf $1.ps

Finally, when I show it, I use
xpdf -fullscreen

When I gave a local talk this way, one of my colleagues, knowing
of my antipathy toward Microsoft, said, "You've given in!"  He
thought it was PowerPoint, but actually it took about 1/10 of the
disk space that ppt would take.

I think it would be better still if I used pdflatex, but I
haven't tried that because lately I've been doing slides in html
using http://www.psych.upenn.edu/~baron/900/slides.css . (Any of
the htm files in that directory will work with it.  Some are
quite old and ugly, however.)  This uses a feature of css, namely

html, body {
  height: 100%;
  overflow: visible;
}

This does not work in most browsers but does work in Mozilla and
recent versions of Netscape.  In a way this is an advantage for
classes because the students print out the slides with IE and
don't have to waste paper with all the white space.

Home page:            http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
R page:               http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/