[R] Is it possible to have data stuctures like in C ?

Ramon Diaz rdiaz at cnio.es
Mon Apr 7 16:06:45 CEST 2003

Dear Samuel,

With regards to the second question, essentially everything in R (S) is an
object. As a simple example, if you do:
> x <- 1:5
x is an object. It has attributes, there are methods appropriate for printing
it, etc.

As for the first, the simplest thing to use would be a list, where you can
have named components of different types.
> y <- list(the.first.vector = 1:5, one.character = "a", another.vector =
10:15)

S4 classes do provide more sophisticated ways of dealing with classes, and
they might be closer to what you expect from structs in C/C++ and classes in
C++. S4 are thoroughly documented in Venables & Ripley's "S Programming" and
in Chambers' "Programming with Data".

But I think you problably should start with the introductory manuals (such as
"An introduction to R", which comes with R) and then maybe move to Venables &
Ripley's "S Programming".

Hope this helps,

Ramón

On Monday 07 April 2003 14:40, Samuel Plessis-Fraissard wrote:
> I'am a very fresh R user and I'd like to know how I could create such
> structures.
>
> I saw R was objects-oriented but I can not find any doccumentation on
> about how to build my hown ojects.
>
> Thanks.

Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)
(Spanish National Cancer Center)
Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3
28029 Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +-34-91-224-6972