[R] problem with mvtnorm installation

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Apr 8 08:36:39 CEST 2003

> Hi all,
>
> I tried to install the mvtnorm library on linux (mandrake version) and i
> obtained the following result :
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lreadline
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [mvtnorm.so] Erreur 1
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'mvtnorm'

You are using a precompiled binary of R and expect it to know about your
local system configuration when compiling packages sources. In this
special case, readline was installed at compile time but is not at
runtime. Install the readline shared libraries and
header files (something like 'libreadline4-dev') and this problem should
be gone. Alternatively, install R from its sources which is always a good
idea ... This issue was discussed on r-help several times, wasn't it,
Dirk? ;-)

best,

Torsten