[R] Basic LME

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 18:09:59 CEST 2003

aov() can also be used with an Error() term, when it is not just a
front-end to lm and does fits random effects.  (As the help page for
aov says.)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Paul, David  A wrote:

> I'm certainly no expert, but I believe that aov( ) is simply a
> front-end to the lm( ) function, which fits fixed-effects linear
> models.  As you may know, it is possible to write any ANOVA model
> as a regression model with appropriate use of indicator variables
> for the various levels of treatments.
>
> So, aov( ) does not, in general, yield results that are comparable
> to those generated by lme( ).  You have specified the same _fixed_
> effect ( ~ Age ) in both aov( ) and lme( ) which is why they
> give you the same parameter estimates for this covariate.

Not really.  The error structure is different, but that may not matter
if there is the right nesting/balance in the design. After all `randomized
block designs' are random effects normally analysed as fixed effects, and
the results are the same.

> When you perform anova( ) to compare the two lme( ) models, you
> are performing a likelihood ratio test.  This is not generally
> the same as the F-test/t-test used to evaluate the marginal
> significance of a fixed-effect term in a linear model, which explains
> the difference between the p-values.

(and those lme fits were by ML rather than the default REML used earlier).
In general there are other differences due to the different assumptions
about error structures, and when there are likelihood-ratio tests would
generally be preferred.