[R] Solving A System of Equations

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Apr 9 17:57:17 CEST 2003

The best method I know is as follows:

1.  Write a function to be minimized, e.g., sum of squares of errors in
the equations.  If your functions are continuously differentiable, then
sum of squares is better than sum of absolute values, because the sum of
squares it is continuous at the minimum while the sum of absolute values
is not.

2.  If there is any question that there might be multiple local minima,
then I would implement one of Prof. Blackwell's suggestions, namely
testing it over an appropriate grid of points.  With only one unknown, I
make a plot.  With two, I make a contour plot.  With three or more, I
might try some kind of grid or Monte Carlo.

3.  With some appropriate starting value(s), I then pass the function to
"optim".  If I want confidence intervals with nonlinear least squares, I
may pass the output of optim to "nls".  If my objective function is a
log(likelihood), "optim" will output the Hessian, which is the negative
of the observed information, whose invers in the approximate covariance
matrix.

Comments?
Spencer Graves