[R] Rprof in Windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 12:38:29 CEST 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Sharon Kuhlmann-Berenzon wrote:

> I am currently using R 1.6.1 on Windows XP. I am trying to profile a
> lengthy program I have. I managed to obtain the profile twice using
> Rprof() and then summaryRprof(). But after that, all further attempts
> indicate that no events have  been recorded in the .out file.
>
> > Rprof()
> > [my program]
> > Rprof(NULL)
> > summaryRprof()
> Error in summaryRprof() : no events were recorded
>
> The Rprof.out file is created, but it only contains the line on the length
> of the interval. Could there be a parameter or option that I should check
> or that might have been changed unadvertedly?

My guess is that you have a single-CPU machine: you need to leave a time
gap between Rprof() and running the code.  It seems to be a bug in the
Windows runtime used in 1.6.x that is failing to start the profiling
thread: it did not happen in 1.5.1 and 1.7.0 (a week away) will contain a
workaround -- dual-CPU machines always worked correctly.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk