[R] multiple numerical variables in aov

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Fri Apr 11 16:17:58 CEST 2003

Rishabh Gupta wrote:
> Like I said I was using aov() instead of anova(). I want to maintain maximum compatability with
> what I've been using so far and I notice that manova() is just a wrapper to aov(). How important
> is it to use summary(......, test="Wilks") exactly, do you think that the default test statistic
> would be sufficient.

Rishabh:
   The default multivariate test would be based on Pillai's
trace.  That may meet your needs.  Also, note how the following
differ:

summary(manova(cbind(v1, v2, v3) ~ g, data = mydata))

vs.

summary(aov(cbind(v1, v2, v3) ~ g, data = mydata))

   So if I understood your initial request, I think you want
summary(manova()) and not summary(aov()).

hope it helps,

Chuck Cleland