[R] rpart vs. randomForest

chumpmonkey@hushmail.com chumpmonkey at hushmail.com
Sat Apr 12 23:41:00 CEST 2003

Greetings. I'm trying to determine whether to use rpart or randomForest
for a classification tree. Has anybody tested efficacy formally? I've
run both and the confusion matrix for rf beats rpart. I've looking at
the rf help page and am unable to figure out how to extract the tree.
But more than that I'm looking for a more comprehensive user's guide
for randomForest including the benefits on using it with MDS. Can anybody
suggest a general guide? I've been finding a lot of broken links and
cs-type of web pages rather than an end-user's guide. Also people's experience
on adjusting the mtry param would be useful. Breiman says that it isn't
too sensitive but I'm curious if anybody has had a different experience
with it. Thanks in advance and apologies if this is too general.

Big $$$ to be made with the HushMail Affiliate Program: