[R] Charts to M$Word - what's the best format

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 17:26:51 CEST 2003

Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> I have never understood why more people don't use this approach.
 > Even without a postscript printer it is an excellent approach;
 > you can install Adobe Acrobat Distiller and print to non-postscript
 > printers (same with Ghostscript).

  I suspect (with very little evidence) that perhaps these people have
tried with PostScript files and failed - since they should have been
using Encapsulated PostScript files. Forget (or not understand the
consequences) to put 'onefile=FALSE' when creating the file and you may
well end up with something that mucks up when included in a document.

  Many applications produce very poor EPS files, and many other
applications have trouble importing them. Thankfully for most technical
people R generates very good EPS files and LaTeX/dvips imports them
flawlessly.

  Anyway, now that machines are fast and disk space cheap, why cant
Windows users just produce bitmaps at 600dpi? :)

Baz