[R] removing NULL elements from a list

Vadim Ogranovich vograno at arbitrade.com
Mon Apr 14 20:57:05 CEST 2003

you can also modify the original list "in place":

l[sapply(l, is.null)] <- NULL

I don't understand why it works this way especially given that, for example,

l[sapply(l, is.null)] <- 5

simply replaces NULL elements of the list with 5. This probably has to do
with the special semantics of NULL. I'd appreciate if someone could clearify
this for me.

Thanks,
Vadim