[R] Installing RMySQL with MySQL-4.0.12 on Debian Linux

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Apr 15 06:23:37 CEST 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:54:34PM -0400, sung-youn.kim at stonybrook.edu wrote:
> I got error messeges when I try to install RMySQL. The version of
> MySQL installed on my Debian is 4.0.12. Error messages were about the
> location of /include and /lib of MySQL distribution. Final error
> messages were;
>
> usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz

That means you don't have the "development" version of zlib needed to compile
(as opposed to merely run) programs with zlib. So do

$ apt-get install zlib1g-dev

As for the prior question: You probably also need libmysqlclient-dev for
the same reason, thus

$ apt-get install libmysqlclient-dev

Hope this helps,  Dirk

--
Wishful thinking can dominate much of the work of a profession for a decade,
but not indefinitely.   -- Robert Shiller, on Efficient Markets models, 2002