[R] Problem with R 1.6.2 and RH 8.0?

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Thu Apr 17 16:52:58 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 16:23, Richard A. Bilonick wrote:
> When I was running R 1.6.1 (under Red Hat 8.0), R would abruptly
> terminate from time to time. I would type in a line of code and hit
> return, and the cursor would not move from the end of the line. Then the
> hard drive would start churning. This goes on for at least 10 minutes.
> Finally R terminates (finally freeing up the keyboard and display). The
> only word printed is "Killed" immediately at the end of the last line of
> code. I upgraded to 1.6.2 and the same thing continues to happen. This
> happens for no apparent reason (doesn't seem to have anything to do with
> any particular code or function).
>
> Here is the last time:
>
>  > library(help=ts)Killed
>
> Has anyone seen this problem? Any idea on what I should fix/change?

Can you reproduce this problem with "R --vanilla" - i.e. without loading
your saved workspace?

Do you get the same problem if you install the RPM for Red Hat 8.0?

What is happening here is that R is trying to allocate more and more
memory. Eventually it runs out of RAM and starts using the swap space on
your hard disk - hence the churning.  When the swap space is used up,
the operating system kills the offending process.

Martyn