[R] Validation of R

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Apr 17 17:37:24 CEST 2003

	  Just to amplify on one of Bill Pikounis' remarks:  I found bugs with
S-Plus code roughly 16 months ago.  I fixed them myself for my own use.
  Legally, my modifications could go no further.  If I took the time to
try to convince the Insightful developers that the bugs were worth
fixing, they would consider my fixes of develop their own.  However,
since I modified their functions, it would have been a violation of
copyright law for me to distribute my fix any further.  If the bug had
been in C or Fortran, I would have had to develop a correct replacement
from scratch.

	  Open source is very different.  If I find a bug, I'm encouraged to
program a fix and offer it to the world.

Spencer Graves