[R] Problem with eigen() and LAPACK

Hans Gardfjell hans.gardfjell at eg.umu.se
Fri Apr 18 20:45:23 CEST 2003

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>Hi Hans,
>
>On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 11:55:33AM -0400, Hans Gardfjell wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>when testing the new improvements in the new 1.7.0-version I stumbled
>>over the following:
>>

>>>eigen(matrix(c(0,.3,2,.9),2,2))
>>>

>>Error in eigen(matrix(c(0,.3,2,.9),2,2)) :
>>        LAPACK routine DGEEV gave error code -13
>>

>>>eigen(matrix(c(0,.3,2,.9),2,2),EISPACK=TRUE)
>>>

>>$values
>>[1]  1.3458236 -0.4458236
>>
>>$vectors
>>           [,1]       [,2]
>>[1,] -1.1436890 -0.9760443
>>[2,] -0.7696018  0.2175718
>>

>>My R-version
>>[1] "R version 1.7.0, 2003-04-16", running on Debian PC.
>>

>Am I correct in assumimg that you are using Debian 3.0 aka "stable",
>along with the R 1.7.0 package from CRAN?

No, I'm also running a "testing" Debian configuration. I first tried R
from the CRAN testing depository, and then today installed the latest
version from the unstable tree. So, just now I'm running the Debian
precompiled R version 1.7.0-1 from the unstable branch at debian.org. I
got the same result with both versions.

However, when checking the dependencies I removed my atlas2-p3 package.
And then it worked. I then realised that atlas2-p3 is replaced by
atlas2-sse. So with an upgrade of atlas2 everything works fine.

/hans