[R] Re: Quick question on upgrading R

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Fri Apr 18 21:47:46 CEST 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:29:45 -0500, you wrote:

>If one has an earlier version of R installed (1.5.0 in my case) and one wants to upgrade to 1.7.0 leaving in place workspaces, work in progress, etc. is there any special procedure required, or should one simply procede as if for a new installation?

>From the rw-FAQ (which I don't seem to have a link to from the binary
page; I'll fix that):

2.6 What's the best way to upgrade?

That's a matter of taste.  For most people the best thing to do is to
uninstall R (see the previous Q), install the new version, copy any
installed packages to the library folder in the new installation, run
`update.packages()' in the new R (`Update packages from CRAN' from the
Packages menu, if you prefer) and then delete anything left of the old
installation.  Different versions of R are quite deliberately
installed
in parallel folders so you can keep old versions around if you wish.

Duncan Murdoch