[R] covariance = diagonal + F'F

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Sun Apr 20 20:56:07 CEST 2003

Vadim  -

Use  svd()  or  eigen()  to get the eigenvectors and eigenvalues
of a covariance matrix.  svd() gives them without calculating the
matrix product first, so it is preferable numerically.  For your
sum-of-matrices decomposition, I think you'll have to calculate
the covariance matrix minus its diagonal first, and expect the
result not to be positive definite.  Then calculate eigenvectors
and eigenvalues of that and truncate the number retained.  "Best"
is entirely subjective.

I do not recall this sum decomposition from a previous thread.

HTH  -  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -