[R] nonlinear equation solver?

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Apr 21 07:13:30 CEST 2003

For this equation you are out of luck as log(z) < z for all positive z's
(such as t^2). More generally you should consult a numerical analysis
textbook for advice on the solution of nonlinear equations. There you
will read about many algorithms in common use by statisticians.

Murray Jorgensen

Wang, Zhu wrote:
> Dear R-Help,
>
> I am trying to use R to solve a nonlinear equation many times for different values. I am looking for a mathematical nonlinear equation solution which may not have a closed solution form. For example, I have equation:
> 2 = (t^2)/log(t)
> What is t?
>
> I am wondering how to solve it in R.
> Many thanks,
>
> Zhu Wang
>
> Statistical Science Department
> SMU.

Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand
Email: maj at waikato.ac.nz                                Fax 7 838 4155
Phone  +64 7 838 4773 wk    +64 7 849 6486 home    Mobile 021 1395 862