[R] index after rbind

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 21 19:48:42 CEST 2003

Dear Ann,

To elaborate Spencer's answer slightly, R requires that the row names of a
data frame be unique. That's why it generated different row names for the
rows of the two data frames given as arguments to rbind.

Again, the question is what you want to do here. You could generate more
meaningful row names (e.g., "A1" - "A5", "B1" - "B5" for your original
example) if this seems appropriate, but they have to be unique.

John