[R] Re: Validation of R

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Mon Apr 21 22:57:12 CEST 2003

TyagiAnupam at aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 4/21/03 3:07:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca writes:
>
>> There may be less work involved in doing (un-official) validation than there
>> is
>> in advertising how much is actually being done. Perhaps the simplest
>> approach is
>> for individuals to put together packages of tests with descriptions that
>> explain
>> the extent of the testing which is done, and then submit the packages to
>> CRAN.
>>

> Another suggestion to address the issue of validation in the long-term:
>
> 1) "Validation" of scientific research takes the form of peer-review, perhaps
> it is possible to come-up with a similar (not same) process for publishing
> software, while maintaining the openness.

Note that the journal of statistical software
(http://www.jstatsoft.org/) already does this.

> 2)  We can also think of contribution to open source software as academic
> contribution

We can.  I am personally aware of at least one major statistics
department that has decided that this is definitely not the case (and
aware of another that has).

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini rossini at u.washington.edu http://software.biostat.washington.edu/
Biostatistics, U Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center