[R] randomForest crash?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Apr 22 03:48:21 CEST 2003

Karen,

There were a couple of stupid errors in 3.4-4.  I've uploaded a patched
release, 3.4-5, to CRAN.  Your example now runs without problem.

However, you probably are not using the function correctly, even though the
new version runs without problem.  The response you are using, V217, is
numeric with values 1 and 2.  randomForest() will think that you actually
have numerical response, and thus fit a regression model, rather than
classification.  To do classification, the response *must* be factor.

Last but not least, it's a good idea to upgrade R: if not for the new
features, at least for the bug fixes.

Cheers,
Andy