[R] lexical scope

Ramon Diaz rdiaz at cnio.es
Tue Apr 22 12:22:39 CEST 2003

Dear Robin,

In terms of documentation I have found John Fox's "Frames, environments, and
scope in R and S-PLUS" (available at
http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/companion/appendix-scope.pdf) to
be an excellent document.

"Lexical scope and statistical computing" by Gentleman & Ihaka (at the J.
Comp. Graph. Stat., 2000, 9: 491-508, though I think a pdf of a preprint can
be found somewhere in the net) contains more general discussion and more
ellaborate examples.

Finally, section 10.7 of "An introduction to R" has brief discussion of these
issues, but that should answer the specific questions you asked.

With regards to your specific situation:
x is a "free variable" for f, and f will look for it in (at? I'll never get
this right) the environment where it was defined (the global environment in
your example).

When you call f from g, f still looks for x in the environment where it was
defined; first time (before you rm(x)) x is 19 there; the second time, there
is no x anymore.

This behavior is different from that of S-PLUS.

Hope this helps,

Ramón

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte