[R] advice on anlysing the spacing of growth rings

Paul White whitep at fern.dsto.defence.gov.au
Thu Apr 24 02:30:24 CEST 2003

Hello,

I have an image of a fatigue crack that I want to analyse. It is simular
to a photograph of the cross section of a (non-circular) tree showing the
tree rings that indicate the growth of the tree. I would like to determine
the spacing of the repeated growth patterns without actually picking off
individual points (there are too many). Could someone give me an
indication of how I could tackle this. It may be similar to a geographical
mapping approach. Can anyone recommand any R packages that I should look
at ?

Thanks
Paul

Paul White
Defence Science and Technology Organisation
Department of Defence
Melbourne, Australia